Most people feel a bit nervous before an interview. The good news is that most interviews have similar types of questions so usually you can think about your answers beforehand and prepare what you want to say.
Here are a few examples of some questions they might ask you at the interview and ideas on how to answer them. Get practising!
• Tell me about yourself.
You mustn’t talk about your family and life history. You must refer to your job-related skills and qualities.
• What do you know about the type of work we do?
You must show you know a lot about the company, so it’s important to do lots of research before the interview.
• What things do you do well?
You have to use this opportunity to talk about your skills and show that you’re the right person to work for them. Note down some ideas before the interview.
• What areas do you feel you need to improve?
You don’t have to talk about anything negative in detail. Try to think about areas you’re already trying to improve. So, you can end in a positive way like: ‘I’m definitely getting better’, or ‘I’m going to do a course later this month.’
Practical interview tipsEven though it may seem very simple or obvious, Tom pointed out several practical things that Greg could do to prepare for his interview.
– Interviews are typically formal, so it’s important to dress formally.
– Plan ahead, and make sure you have something appropriate to wear.
– Don’t wait until the day of the interview to find suitable clothing.
– Always confirm the exact address and location of your interview. – How long will it take you to get there and how are you going to get there?
– It’s best to arrive a little early for your interview; about 15 minutes early is about right.
– You want to make a good impression on the day.
– When you go into the interview room, introduce yourself and shake hands with the interviewers.
– Try to remember to sit up straight. – Make eye contact.
– Be friendly and be polite.
– Make a short list of details you’ll need to remember on the day. For example, remind yourself to switch off your mobile phone before going into the interview.
– It’s useful to bring a notebook and pen with you.
– It’s a good idea to learn as much as you can about the company.
– Do some research online and, if possible, talk to someone who already works there.
-There are key questions that most interviewers ask. They’re designed to find out what type of person you are, and what kinds of things you’re good at doing.
– It’s very important to plan your answers in advance.
Source: Future Learn